Barrow Hill Roundhouse - 11th March 2018
The Barrow Hill Round House has been on the the same site since 1870. Having been build as an original steam shed for the Midland Railway the 24 Road round house survived until closure of the final coal pits in 1991. Thankfully In 1989 Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society was formed with the intention of saving from demolition the Roundhouse on the site of the soon to be closed British Rail engine shed, and after extensive restoration the shed reopened as a preservation centre in 1998. Since then the centre has become an important centre of railway locomotive repair and restoration. As well as preserving the original round house, the sidings outside now provide ample storage for both preservationists, and mainline operators to store locomotives. Harry Needle and the Deltic Preservation Society are also now based on the same site. A visit to the Roundhouse will always provide a treasure trove of UK locomotives in various states of repair and restoration. Most recently the centre has also added a new Entrance, Cafe and Educational centre to further secure the future of the site.
The new extension and building refurbishment is pictured in the first set of images along with some of the new displays and educational installations.